Posted on 2021-07-16 07:55:26
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair: Why Use It and How (Part 2)
Apple cider vinegar (or ACV) is an all-round performer. It solves your skin, hair, health and even home cleaning related problems! This is the second article in a 4-part series on Apple Cider Vinegar. Read Part 1: Apple Cider Vinegar For Weight Loss
This magic ingredient can solve all your hair problems — dandruff, dry and dull hair, itchy scalp, thin hair and more. Plus, it boosts hair growth and leaves you with nourished, shiny and healthy hair. What more can one ask for!
In this post, we cover:
- Apple cider vinegar benefits for hair
- Apple cider vinegar uses for hair
- DIY homemade hair masks using apple cider vinegar to
- boost hair growth
- get thick hair
- reduce dandruff
- improve damage hair
- add shine
Benefits of using Apple Cider Vinegar for hair
- Reduces frizziness in hair: Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid which helps in restoring shine to hair and reducing dryness, making them less frizzy. The reason hair become brittle and frizzy is because of the high alkaline content in them. When you counteract that with the acidity of vinegar, natural balance gets restored.
- Acts against itchiness and scalp infections: The antimicrobial qualities of apple cider vinegar make it effective against fungi and bacteria that cause scalp infections. Regular use of apple cider vinegar for hair wash can help you heal your scalp and become itch-free.
- Reduces dandruff: Alpha-hydroxy acid, present in apple cider vinegar, is an exfoliant that cleans up scalp and reduces dandruff.
- Makes hair healthy: Apple cider vinegar is good for hair because it contains several vitamins and minerals that nourish your hair, leaving them shiny and healthy.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Hair
Given the advantages of using apple cider vinegar on hair, you wouldn’t want to miss out on it. Here’s how you can use this magic ingredient for hair:
Using Apple Cider Vinegar as Hair Rinse
Regular use of shampoos, conditioners and other hair products leads to product build up. ACV hair rinse helps in cleaning your scalp completely and adds shine to your hair.
- Mix ACV and water in equal proportions and pour over your hair after you have shampoo and conditioner. Leave your hair as is for a couple of minutes and then wash it off with water them. If you have a sensitive scalp, add more water than vinegar. You can also add essential oils to this mix if you don’t want your hair to smell vinegary.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar as hair detangler
Tangled hair lead to most hair fall and this budget product can help you resolve your tangled mess. All you need to do is
- Mix ACV and water in a one-to-one ratio and pour it in a spray bottle. Before you start combing, spray this mix on your hair.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar to make hair shiny
One of the common problems we all face with hair care products is that they to become ineffective after repeated use. One of the reasons for this is product build up that clogs hair follicles. As a result, hair start to look dull and lifeless. To solve this problem, we again have apple cider vinegar to our rescue.
- In a large cup of water, add two tablespoons of ACV and rinse hair after shampoo. Rinse off again using cold water and apply a mild conditioner to the ends of hair strands.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar for treating dandruff
Home remedies for treating dandruff often miss out mentioning apple cider vinegar. But, like we said earlier, apple cider vinegar is an all-rounder, and is an effective home remedy for dandruff.
- Dilute ACV with water and massage your scalp. Let it stay for a few minutes and then wash off with cold water. Repeat on a weekly basis or twice a week if you have severe dandruff problem. Why this works? The acidic nature of vinegar acts against fungus Malassezia which causes dandruff.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Oily Hair
Whether your hair are too oily or too dry, what they really need is a product that can restore balance. For oily hair, you need something that can act against the excess oil but does not strip your hair off essential natural oils. So here’s what you should do.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of water, apply and rinse. This mixture will remove oil from your hair and, at the same time, won’t dry up your scalp.
Homemade Hair Masks Using Apple Cider Vinegar
Natural deep conditioning hair mask using ACV
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
How to make and use the deep conditioning hair mask
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Apply to your scalp and strands using your fingers and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Wash your hair with water generously and you are done. You don’t need to shampoo your hair after applying this mask. In short, this apple cider vinegar hair mask not only conditions your hair but also saves your hair from chemicals.
Hair Mask with Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Growth
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 table spoon coconut oil (increase the amount for dry hair and reduce for oily hair)
- 3 tablespoon water
How to make and use the hair mask for hair growth
Mix all the ingredients and apply on hair. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with water.
[Also read: Lavender Oil for Hair Growth]
Hair Mask for Damaged Hair
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
How to make and use the mask for repairing damaged hair
Mix the ingredients and apply on your scalp. Let it dry for 30 mins and wash off with lukewarm water. You can try this once every week.
Hair Mask to Remedy Itchy Scalp
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
How to make and use the homemade hair mask for itchy scalp
Mix the ingredients and leave the mask on scalp for 30 mins. Wash off using your regular shampoo.
Hair Mask to Improve Hair Length
- 1 egg white
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
How to get long hair using this hair mask
Mix the egg white and ACV in a bowl and apply evenly on your scalp. Leave it in for 40-45 minutes and wash off with regular shampoo and cold water. Continue regularly once a week to get long hair.
Hair Mask to Get Thick Hair
- Spoonful of fenugreek (methi seeds) paste
1 teaspoon ACV
- How to make and use the hair mask to get thick hair
For the fenugreek paste, soak the seeds overnight and mash them in the morning. Add ACV to the paste and apply on your hair. Let it stay for 20-30 mins and wash with lukewarm water. This hair mask is a great answer to solving thinning hair problem.
Hair Mask for Dry Hair
- 1 teaspoon ACV
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
How to make and use the hair mask to reduce hair dryness
Mix the two ingredients and apply on scalp and hair for 30 mins. Wash off with water and your regular shampoo. This hair mask is great for dry hair as it nourishes and moisturises them.
Hope you found these homemade hair masks super useful!
Let us know which one of these apple cider vinegar hair masks you tried in the comments below.